Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Turn turn turn: the coaching carousel continues (aka Ron Wilson hired by Toronto)



Forgive the terrible picture, it's the best I can do with limited resources right now.

So Toronto today officially hired Ron Wilson to be their next head coach.

Good for Ron. He wasn't working out in San Jose, but hopefully he can work better with a young Leafs squad that needs to try and make the playoffs as opposed to winning the cup.

For my mind, Ron's fatal flaw in Shark-land was that he was far too stubborn. All year the Sharks had a problem executing on the powerplay. And until Brian Campbell basically fell into his lap at the deadline, nothing really changed. Then in the playoffs the penalty kill also fell apart, and yet nothing changed. I understand that players might be set in their ways and hesitant to change how they are working, but a coach's job is to instill in his players that it's to their benefit to work with the changes.

Hopefully the Sharks next coach can do that better. Who that is I have no idea, and I want to wait until there's a better picture before I weigh in.

As for Ron, i wish him the best of luck in Toronto, but I don't have any strong feelings one way or another on his success or failure there.

Also, there are unconfirmed reports that Trevor Linden is going to announce his retirement. I'll have something to say if/when that happens.

No comments: